Wednesday, June 01, 2005

 

Thoughts on Memorial Day

My father served in WWII as a medic in Italy. He always said, "I was just a medic," and I took it at face value. He wasn't very medical, but we kids never went to the doctor or the hospital and got told there was nothing wrong. He was always the one to decide if we needed to be looked at. Six kids had lots of colds and sprains. I never really thought about war when I was a kid, even when watching "Combat" it was just about the cute guys. When the Viet Nam war reared it's ugly head into my little world, I just agreed with mom and dad that the hippies were ruining the country. It was an honor to serve your country, but thank God I was a girl. It wasn't until I watched the opening scenes of "Private Ryan" that I realized exactly what it was like to be "just a medic" and have to be the one to pick up the bloody bodies, or have to decide which ones were saveable. How many deaths did he witness? No wonder he never wanted to talk about what he did in the war. My family has never had a member killed in a war. Neither has my husband's family. Our fathers and uncles served in WWII, and returned home physically intact. My brothers got orders for Viet Nam, but ended up in Germany. We have been very lucky. None of our sons or nephews have joined the service, and we hope they never have to fight this war that is all about greed and power for the rich and powerful. God bless America.
Comments:
Joan,

My mother lost her brother in WW II at age 21 ... and she has said for as long as I have known her that a day does not go by when she does not think of him. It is the big regret of her life that he did not live to marry and have children and do all of the things in life that we all have a tendency to take for granted. The death of a soldier is certainly more than a number for the family and those who loved him. I see the old soldiers each Memorial Day - putting the flags on the graves of their comrades. They remember as well. The know the price that was paid, and they have kept their promise to their fallen comrades. It is good for all of us to remember the real cost of war, and to enter into it only when all other possibilities have been exhausted.

Doug
 
I agree with you Doug. My point (ineloquently made) was how lucky my family has been. These new deaths from these new wars represent those families who were not so lucky. I believe that these deaths were offered up on the altar of greed and lies. My mother's sorrow was caused by her father's killer being paroled from a life sentence. Another topic, another day.
 
Angry Joan -
I suggest you get your medication levels adjusted. Your anger and bitterness are very destructive. You need to remember to support the troops, realize that does not mean you must support ever action they are ordered into. Many great men and women are in the military, think of them every day and contemplate how you could redirect your time and energy into a positive action for them.
 
Ms. Anonymous- Please tell your administration to support our troops by at the very least providing them with the equipment they need. Please remind them not to forget the thousands who have been injured.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?